Friday, April 4, 2014

finding Nirvana

one of the major influences in my life, and one of the major reasons i moved to seattle,  was the scene known as *grunge* or the *seattle sound*.  i loved the music, i loved the messy, thrift shop, eclectic lifestyle, and i wanted to be a part of it.  i wanted to be in the middle of it.  so with three other friends, i  jettisoned most of my belongings and made the move from san diego to seattle.  i instantly fell in love with the city, with the northwest culture, and i thrived.  i lived to hear live music, and watched *grunge* explode and influence culture all over the world.  the biggest influence, the band that still influences music today, was NIRVANA.

it has been 20 years since kurt cobain, lead singer of NIRVANA, killed himself in his seattle home.  the death rocked the world, and 20 years later, my heart still hurts.  in celebration of his life, the world's greatest radio station, KEXP, played one of the greatest NIRVANA tributes i have ever heard.  i sat in the kitchen with the family this morning, listening to to NIRVANA, feeling nostalgic, and enjoying explaining my history, as well as that of NIRVANA and grunge to the kids.  we cranked the volume, we listened, we sang, we played air guitar.  it was a moving moment for me....one that i will carry for a long time, and one that i hope my kids will remember, and one that i hope will provide them with a glimpse of what i was, what seattle was, and how we all came together.  without NIRVANA the band, i may have never found my own personal nirvana...my husband, my oldest child, my youngest child...and everything that comes with our awesome team erbeck life.
rocking to "Grandma Take me Home"

the kids are naturals at grunge rock

3 comments:

Matt said...

Here is to old flannels, combat boots and finding a place to call home.
It came down hard in Sydney today and Jenny and I ran into a pub and had a beer while the rain bounced off the sidewalk. Gray skies and a cold beer; homesickness hit me like a ton of bricks.

Miss you guys.

Matt

To Blog or Not to Blog said...

Awesome! And hopefully when you go home you'll play them some 'grunge lite'!!!!!!!

erbeck family said...

hi-matt- we miss you something awful friend. you should have had some nirvana rock to drink with your beer.
and roberta...thanks for reminding me about that album cover. surely the kids will be amazed to see their mom on the cover of a CD (related to grunge even!). somewhere in my memorabilia, a poster of grunge lite exists.